The 2012 Sixth Annual St. Augustine Music festival features musicians from the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra joined by nationally renowned artists presenting a variety of classical compositions. Here is a preview of the 2012 free classical concert series at the Cathedral Basilica.
“Summer Music” Thursday, June 21, 7:30 p.m. – SAMF Chamber Orchestra
- Johann Friedrich Fasch (1688-1758) Trumpet Concerto in D major, FWV L:D1 featuring Julian Kaplan, Trumpet.
- Aaron Copland (1900-1990) “Quiet City” with Claudia Minch, English Horn; Julian Kaplan Trumpet.
- Piotr Szewczyk (1977- ) Summer Music for String Quartet. Apparitions for Violin, Flute, Clarinet, Cello and Percussion, featuring the composer on violin.
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791) Serenade No. 6 in D major, K. 239 “Serenata Notturna” featuring Joe Beker, Timpani.
- Samuel Barber(1910-1981) Summer Music Op. 31.for woodwing quintet
- Julio Medaglia(1938- ) Suite Popular Brasileira for woodwing quintet
- Aaron Copland (1900-1990) Appalachian Spring.(original version for 13 instruments double quartet, bass, piano, Flute, Clarinet, Bassoon
“Piano Spectacular” Friday, June 22, 7:30 p.m Featuring international pianists Eugenio Urrutia Borlando and Gregory Martin.
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791) Sonata in B-flat major No 17 KV. 570
- Isaac Albeniz (1860-1909) Suite Espanola
- Alberto Ginastera (1916-1983) Danzas Argentinas
- Edvard Grieg (1843-1907) From Lyric Pieces, Op. 54 Gangar (Norwegian Dance)
- Johannes Brahms (1833-1897) Piano Sonata No. 1 in C major, Op. 1
“Grace and Beauty” Saturday, June 23, 7:30 p.m.
- Featuring Stephen Robinson, Guitar; Ileana Fernandez and Eugenio Urrutia Borlando, Piano
- Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco (1895-1968) Fantasia, Op. 145.
- Francois de Fossa (1775-1849) Guitar Trio No. 2 in G Major, Op. 18.
- Antonin Dvorak (1882-1949) Piano Quintet in A major, Op. 81.
“Musica Nocturna” Thursday, June 28, 7:30 p.m.
- Joaquin Turina (1882-1949) Scene Andalouse for solo viola, string quartet and piano, featuring SAMF Artistic Director Jorge A. Pena, viola; Tugce Tari, Piano.
- Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) Piano Quintet in E flat major, Op. 16
- Luigi Boccherini (1743-1805) String Quintet in C major, Op. 30, No. 6, G. 324, “La musica notturna delle strade di Madrid” with Antonio Rincon, Jorge Avila, Violins; Colin Kiely, Viola; Moises Molina, Jin Pena, Cellos;Johannes Brahms, Clarinet Quintet in B Minor, Op. 115.
“Sacred Music” Friday, June 29, 7:30 p.m.
In honor of Feast Day of Saints Peter and Paul. Featuring Brittnee Siemon, lyric mezzo-soprano.
- George Frideric Handel (1685-1759) Concerto Grosso in G major, Op. 6, No. 1, HWV 319
- Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750) Selections from Cantata BWV 35, Cantata BWV 147
- George Frideric Handel (1685-1759) Dixit Dominus, HWV 232
- Johannes Brahms (1833-1897) 2 Gesange, Op. 91: No. 2.
- George Frideric Handel (1685-1759) Selections from Oratorio Messiah, HWV 56
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791) Church Sonata No. 16 in C major, K. 329
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791) Cantata Davide penitente, K. 469
“Back to Bach” Saturday, June 30, 7:30 p.m. – Featuring International Violinist Elissa Lee Koljonen and Violist Jorge Pena and SAMF Chamber Orchestra
- George Frideric Handel (1685-1759) Water Music: Suite No. 1 in F major, HWV 348
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791) Duo for Violin and Viola in G major, K. 423
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791) Violin Concerto No. 1 B flat major, K. 207. Elissa Lee Koljonen, Violin Soloist.
- Johann Sebastian Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No.1 in F major, BWV 1046. Jorge Avila, Violino piccolo Soloist.